Thursday 20 November 2014

Initial Ideas Part One

For this first part of the project, we are producing three black and white portraits on a 5x4 film camera, which individually have to be different in the positioning of the person in the portrait. Initially they are to be strangers that pass me on the street, wherever I set the camera up. The images also have to be of pairs, whether that maybe two friends, spouse, family or even their pet, as it creates a total different meaning to how the audience see's the picture and how it looks all together. I am not too over ally fussed on what type of people are in my photographs or what they look like, just as long as they appear to be interesting, so that it will come out in my prints. I want the location of my photographs to look quite urban and gritty, such as a town centre or near a pub to help create and link with an abrasive appearance to my black and white portraits.

On thursday (13.11.14), Tim gave us a workshop on depth of field and a run through of how to use the camera again to recap how to set it up, as we have not used it since our Landscape module in Level 4. After relearning to set the camera up and seeing how it works again, we went through different levels of depth of field, which will be featured in our black and white portraits. Long, medium and shallow are the focal lengths that we are to include in our images. Tim also went through focal lengths and how f stops effect how the photograph will turn out, with what is in focus and what is blurry. This workshop was really useful because it helped me understand depth of  field a lot more than I already did, by seeing it in demonstration and realising that DOF is bigger the further away the subject is, portraits in this case. We then went out with our first piece of film, using one of the lengths of depth of field in our image. Unfortunately my negative for this was fogged due to me accidentally pulling the slide out exposing the negative. A mistake I will not be doing again.


No comments:

Post a Comment